Sunday, July 24, 2011

17/365 Gossamer, by Lois Lowry


I wish I could find a better picture of the cover online, because both times I've read this book the cover is what initially attracted me.  It's not, like, my absolute ideal perfect favorite, but it is a pretty great cover.  I think I would change the multi-colored lettering, but I'm not sure to what.  I can imagine reasons why colored lettering might have been used - maybe a pop of color to draw the eye, as it's black and white, or to make it less spooky looking.  Usually when multi-colored letters are done, the yellow looks too pale, but they did a good job with that.  It drives me insane when people do primary colored lettering on things, and the words end up looking like they're missing letters.  Our local children's hospital has a sign that at a glance reads, "We ove ids" on the side of the building.

Okay, I'm done ranting.

Like I said, I've read this book before.  But it was so long ago that I'd honestly forgotten the story.  I don't know if it's just me, or one of the things that comes with old age, but I've forgotten so many stories.  The books I particularly love? No problem.  But I'd read almost all of the Newberry Award winners by the time I was 14, and I can't remember what happens in at least half of them.  Oh well.  I'm always getting to re-read books with first-time enjoyment, so it's not all that bad.

I can vaguely remember liking this book when I read it the first time, and I liked it on this go round as well.  It's sweet and short and airy.   Apparently it's been done as a play somewhere or other, because pics came up on my google search.   Interesting.
I must say, it's been a while since an image of a character on a cover has, like, worked for me.  I saw that kid in my head while I was reading. Whoever thought that up has my approval.  It actually added to my reading experience.

CONCLUSION:  I hope I always have Lois Lowry books about the house. I know I said I didn't remember this story, but many of her other books have left a big stamp on my early reading life.  Like I've said before, I've read The Giver at least 25 times.  A Summer to Die was one of the few books that have, if not actually made me cry, made me want to cry.  You've Got M@il is the sum of all wisdom: "When you read a book as a child it become part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does."  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment