Thursday, July 21, 2011

14/365 The Willoughbys

I didn't feel like reading anything today, but I'm glad I didn't just say, "Squirrel Nutkin to the Rescue" and go to bed feeling like a cheat. 


I grabbed this book at the library because of the cover, and because I love Lois Lowry.  I have read The Giver at least twenty times.  Seriously.  
But I have a confession.  When I read the back blurb, I must admit that I gave a fretful, "ooooo..."  Because when people write stories about orphans (or should-be orphans) and use adjectives like "nefarious" and "despicable" I think they're knocking off Lemony Snicket.  Yes, I lost faith in Lowry for a moment there.  
But it was only a moment.  I stopped and thought, "Wait, Lois Lowry doesn't need to knock-off Lemony Snicket.  She sells a zillion copies of The Giver every August when about three million kids scramble to finish their summer reading lists two and a half days before school starts."  Also, two chapters in, a flip switched and I saw what kind of book it actually is. 


A funny one.  A total spoof.  Definitely a book for book lovers.  I don't want to talk about it much, because I'd spoil it.  But it was good fun.  If you've read any of the classic children's stories - or at least seen the movies - you'll get it and like it.  And it wasn't Snicket-ish at all.  This book was not sad or serious.  Not even slightly. 

The glossary and bibliography were almost my favorite bits.  I wanted to type the best bits out, but then I liked all the bits.  Because I am pathologically afraid of being sued (it sounds so boring!), I also rejected the idea of scanning the pages, too.  Imaginary reader, you should just read the book.  If they had it at my pokey little library, they will likely have it at yours.  

This is a slight spoiler, but I must tell you, dear imaginary readers, that tomorrow I am going to buy a Baby Ruth and eat it in honor of all the winsome orphans who remain insufferably cheerful in the face of adversity and the prospect of loosing limbs, and continue tirelessly in the good work of persuading crippled children to walk. 

I use too many commas.

No comments:

Post a Comment