Sunday, July 17, 2011

10/365 Dragons in the Waters


A mystery! How nice.  Yes, I'm still doing a Madeleine L'Engle fest.

I'm going to make this quick, because I'm dropping to sleep as I type.  I need to start reading my daily books before eight at night.  I was up till three reading and writing this morning.  I can only take so much of that.

I love the devastatingly intelligent children L'Engle writes.  They make me feel like I need to get books about art and birds and biology.
Another thing I love is the way many of her characters refuse to make promises they can't keep or aren't sure about.  And when they make promises, they mean them.  (Katherine, of A Severed Wasp and The Small Rain has this quality too.)  I would like to be like that.  It's so easy to make easy promises - even about silly things - and never follow through.
It's funny how characters by decidedly Christian authors seem to all have the same merry yet sincere quality to them.  Perhaps I'm just being imaginative - but L'Engle's characters remind me so much of the Friends of Narnia sometimes.

I had something else to say but now I can't remember.  What a pity.  Yet another profound insight that probably would have changed the world has been lost in the dithery recesses of my brain.  Sigh, sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment