Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Let's do this thing.

Looks like I'll be reading 113 books this year.  Welcome to 2014, Kelsey.

My real question right now is whether I should organize or plan out my reading, or just let it be kind of a grab what you want when you want thing, based on feelings.  I'd feel awfully learned if I grouped things by date of publication, or general eras or general countries. But I worry that if I did that I would get all mired down by having to read a long stream ancient plays or absurdly fat books of Russian short stories.

Right now, having come off the exhilaration of Anna Karenina, I'm quite game to read my skinny little volume of The Death of Ivan Ilych and Master and Man or whatever it is and continue immersing myself in the brilliance of Tolstoy.  Or, still glowing with the pride of having plowed through 800 pages, I could toss myself onto the much larger task of reading not only Shakespeare's complete works (which, unfortunately, only counts as one book because it's all one giant, nasty volume) but also, at the same time, Harold Bloom's Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human or whatever the monstrosity is called. However, a nice Gary Paulsen teen/kids book doesn't sound so bad either.

We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment